The mission of the City Clerk’s Office is to maintain the integrity of the legislative process, provide administrative and technical support to the City Council, and to protect and preserve official City documents. The Municipal Clerk is the oldest public servant’s position in local government.
The City Clerk’s Office is committed to providing the highest level of service at all times. We are here to serve you, the citizens, the heart of the community.
Department Functions And Responsibilities
The City Clerk works directly with the Mayor, City Council and the public and is responsible for the following:
- The City Clerk is the custodian of all official/public records for the City of Spanish Fort, which includes all minutes, resolutions, ordinances, contracts and codes.See Public Records
- This office is responsible for the receipt, distribution and expenditure of all City funds, such as revenue from Business Licenses, Building Permits, Zoning Fees, Bond Money, Fines and all City taxes.
- The City Clerk is required to attend all City Council Meetings.
- The Clerk’s office is also responsible for preparing the City Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes of the City Council Meetings, as well as the City Council Work Session Minutes.
- The City Clerk is the City’s Chief Election Official and is responsible for the administration of Municipal Elections.
- The City Clerk serves as Clerk to the City Council and prepares minutes for various Boards and Committees.
- The City Clerk is the custodian of the City seal.
Under Alabama law, emails are considered public records. If you do not want your emails released to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, please contact this office by phone.