Contact Building Dept.
City of Spanish Fort
7361 Spanish Fort Boulevard
Spanish Fort, Alabama 36527

Entrance at the southeast
corner of the Spanish Fort
Community Center building.

Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday

Building Department Staff:
Chester Patterson
Building Official, Inspector

Casey Rains
Environmental Manager,
Planning Coordinator

Carol Caldwell
Permit Clerk

fax:  251.626.4880

Permits Requirements and Fees - Ord. No. 541-2019
Commercial Building Permits

Commercial Building Permit Checklist

Ordinance No. 541-2019 outlines current applicable codes and permitting fees.

All construction within The City of Spanish Fort shall require the necessary permits to be issued and required inspections to be completed to compliance with current codes. To make the process as quick and easy as possible, please comply with the following checklist when submitting an application for Commercial Building Permit:
  • 3-sets of engineer-stamped plans;
  • 1-copy of plot plan;
  • Fire sprinkler plans, if applicable to structure;
  • Fire alarm plans, if applicable;
  • 911 Address assigned to construction site;
  • Tax Parcel Number;
  • BMP Plan;
  • Copy of water and sewer receipt (Health Dept. release, if septic);
  • Development Review approval letter, if required;
  • Contact information for property owner, if applicant is not owner;
  • The contractor and ALL subcontractors and installers must have a Current Business License with the City of Spanish Fort;
  • State of Alabama General Contractor’s License;
  • Check made payable to “City of Spanish Fort”, or cash for permit fees.
  • Email address of applicant or representative of applicant.
A trash dumpster and portable toilet are required on all residential construction sites.

*No Building Permit shall be issued for any site disturbing at least 1000 sq ft without the proper application and approval of a Land Disturbance Permit

Land Disturbance Permit Application Checklist

"Class 1 Land Disturbance Permit" 
NPDES Qualified Construction Sites (Larger than 1 Acre)
  • 2 sets of Qualified Credentialed Professional (QCP) stamped plans
  • Copy of Notice of Intent (NOI) submitted to ADEM
  • Copy of Construction Best Management Practices Plan (CBMPP) submitted to ADEM
  • All requirements of the Stormwater Management Standards found in the City's Subdivision Regulations shall be met 
  • Tax parcel number
  • 911 address assigned to the site
  • Contact information for Owner, General Contractor, and QCP
  • Any additional permits
  • Size of disturbed area
  • Watershed

"Class 2 Land Disturbance Permit" 
Other Disturbed Sites ( Larger than 1000 sq ft, In-ground swimming pools, Land disturbing activity found to be contributing to an illicit discharge into the City's MS4)

  • Erosion Control Plan (ECP) depicting Best Management Practices (BMPs) to include:
    • Boundary lines of the site
    • Identification of all areas to be included in the land disturbing activities
    • Location of any adjacent roadways, structures, jurisdictional boundaries, wetlands, streams, and rivers
    • Topographical map of the site with contours no less than 2 foot intervals
    • Proposed location of sediment control devices ex: silt fence, wattles, mulch
    • Proposed location, dimension, and characteristics of any construction exit pads
    • Proposed location of any stockpiles
    • Proposed location of dumpsters and other good housekeeping devices
    • Location of any portable toilets and other sanitation devices in relation to storm drain inlets. 
  • Tax parcel number
  • 911 address assigned to the site
  • Contact information for Owner, General Contractor, and QCP
  • Any additional permits
  • Size of disturbed area
  • Watershed

Required Inspections During Commercial Construction:

  • Erosion control initial site inspection 
  • Footing
  • Slab/Floor
  • Both open-trench and in-slab plumbing
  • Sheathing/nail pattern, if applicable
  • Rough-ins for plumbing, electrical, HVAC and framing, as necessary
  • Erosion control final site inspection
  • Final inspection


For signage requirements, please consult the Building Official after reviewing Sign Ordinance No. 1994-20

For landscape requirements, see Tree Protection/Landscaping Standard Ordinance, No. 543-2019