Duties of the Planning Department include:
- Implementing the Comprehensive Plan;
- Enforcing the City's Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations, and Municipal Codes;
- Working closely with the City's Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment;
- Maintaining all records for the Spanish Fort Planning Commission and the Board of Adjustment;
- Providing Zoning Certifications;
- Reviewing all proposed subdivisions and developments presented to the Planning Commission and City Council;
- Managing the City's GIS Database and Mapping; and
- Developing and implementing the City's Stormwater Management Plan.
A map of our current zoning districts can be accessed here.
A copy of our Zoning Variance & Rezoning Request Applications can be found below:
Application for Rezoning
Application for Zoning Variance
For more information on zoning, please call our Planning Department at 251-626-4993.
All subdivisions of land within the City of Spanish Fort and its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction are reviewed by the Planning Department to ensure compliance with the City's Subdivision Regulations. Planning Department staff communicate any issues and deficiencies to applicants prior to making a recommendation to the Planning Commission regarding approval of the subdivision application. Subdivision applications and checklists can be found below:
Preliminary Plat Review Application and Checklist
Final Plat Review Application and Checklist
Minor Plat Review Application and Checklist
Land Use and Site Plan Information:
The Zoning Ordinance of the City of Spanish Fort requires that the Planning Commission review and approve site plans for new commercial developments prior to obtaining building permits and commencement of construction. Certain required information must be provided to the Spanish Fort Planning Commission by the developer, contractor or owner of the property for the Commission to properly act on a site plan review application. A copy of the Land Use/Site Plan Review Application is available below:
Land Use/Site Plan Application
Planning Commission Application Schedule:
In an effort to streamline the Planning Commission submission process, the Planning Department has adopted the following schedule to ensure all applications are processed in a timely manner: